Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Book of GUTS Quotes

A couple months ago I finished one of my latest art projects, here's a quick refresher, (GUTS Skillet). I smile at the homemade souvenir each time I see it hanging in my kitchen.

But upon completion, I wasn't sure what to do next. I go through periods of painting, but I wasn't feeling it. Then I saw the following video and a light bulb went off. What if I turn Aly's video of people's "What's GUTS mean to me?" into a physical book and give it to Kristen when I go see a taping of The Exes.

And here's the aftermath of the project!

The cover was probably the hardest part to make. Mom and I went to Hobby Lobby and we scoured the aisles to find a decent paper that fit with my vision and would be durable.

Then I tried to assemble it, but ran into a bit of a problem with scoring the cover lined cardboard. Too much paper and not enough room for the folds... bring in the clothes pins and glue!

Gotta have an appropriate title page for the GutsTheBook mini quote book.

And now we hit the quote pages. Getting the quote makers to write their quote would be quite an undertaking and I honestly don't know how I would have done so. My solution, to add a personal touch to the book, I enlisted the help of my family and friends. Each quote is a in a different handwriting and it means so much to me that they would be a part of this project.

A special tidbit: I pictured the pages being small, but knew post-it's wouldn't cut it. Once upon a time I bought some note paper made of elephant poop. Yes, this might just be perfect! My favorite tweet ever from Kjo was about people who are plane-poopers.

Needless to say. Thank you to everyone who had a part in this project, and I sure hope Kjo likes it.

1 comment:

P-town Tom said...

I like that you were able to add a key word from each post-it to each page. Nice touch!

Oh, and yes, I'm sure she'll love it!