Wednesday, June 17, 2015

CMA Fest 2015 - Day 2

Our first mission on day two was to head to FanFairX so Theresa could stalk one of her longtime favorites. That opportunity wasn't until mid-morning, so we got to sleep-in and enjoy a Waffle House breakfast. Breakfast is just done right in the South.

As we arrived at our designated LP Field parking lot, so did a monster rain cloud. For the first time we took advantage of the shuttles that run around the perimeter of the various downtown stages. It was perfect timing! The skies didn't fully unleash until we took the last two open seats on the bus.

The rain subsided by the time we made it to Fan Alley, so we took the opportunity to walk the booths prior to making our way to FanFairX where Theresa was hopeful to meet Phil Vassar. As you can guess by the photo below, she accomplished her mission.

I wasn't familiar with Phil's music, so I made my way over to the Close-up Stage for a 90th Anniversary Opry Panel. Two other artists accompanied Kristian Bush to tell stories about growing up listening to the Opry, their first Opry performance, and how they were asked to join the Opry.

Jeannie Seely was the one Tomato on the panel. She had some great stories to share from her many years as part of the Opry. All three artists left me wanting to hear more stories and hoping that I someday make my way back to Nashville to see a night at the Opry

Below is Josh Turner, the 3rd artist on the panel. After the meet and greet we had with him last year, which left me not thinking too fondly of him, it was nice to see some of his personality come through. It's hard for me to wrap my head around, but it would seem that someone who performs in front of crowds of 1,000's can be very reserved when speaking and or meeting small groups of people.

At some point prior to the Opry panel I caught the majority of The Oak Ridge Boys during their time on the Close-up stage. Yet another group I was unfamiliar with, but I seem to not be able to absorb enough music career related stories. What I didn't know at that time is that I'd be seeing them later that evening at LP Field. And better yet, they brought out Little Big Town to join them! This combination began the best night at LP Field.

The Band Perry was second up and just about knocked my socks off. I have no good excuse for not having gone seen them in concert. Hell, they even played at Bradley University and I didn't go see that. Seriously, what is my problem?!? They were hands down my favorite performance at LP Field and left me wanting so much more. The highlight of their set was when they sang "Uptown Funk"!

There was usually about 15 minutes in between each act, and when you are the top row of the nosebleeds, you have the tendency to want to stay in your seats. Sure, I entered the texting contests they announced, but what to do with the other 14 minutes. On night 2 I turned to my new friend Spidey.
I was unaware of Theresa's dislike of 8-legged beings. This knew found information prompted me to give her commentary of what Spidey and his friends were up to. The younger sibling in me definitely came out during these set changes. Please note that she didn't do much to discourage my behavior. She even loaned me the flashlight on her phone so I could capture Spidey on his web. I must say, it is quite fascinating to watch a spider build a web while the wind is whipping around.

When Spidey took a break, I was forced to dive even deeper into my surroundings to pass the time. I know it's not the kindest thing to say, but I couldn't help but think that the fenced in grass area in the photo below was like a dog park for smokers. Nice green plush grass and ashtrays instead of water bowls for the patrons to gather around. Don't worry, the smokers will get me back during the last night at LP Field.

The second best act of the night was Zac Brown Band. Their song selection renewed my interest in them. The songs I've heard from them since their first album all start to sound the same to me, but the taste of their album Jekyll and Hyde have me intrigued. In addition, they did their rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody. That was just fantastic!

The other artists we saw this night were Maddie and Tae, Lee Brice, Randy Houser, and Lady Antebellum. I am a Luke Bryan fan, but he drew the short straw and played last that night. Translation, we left before he took the stage. Yes, really... parking lot hell is not worth 5 Luke Bryan songs.

No comments: