Sunday, January 27, 2013

Today's Art Project - GUTS Style

I enjoy being creative, but it's something I can't force. I just have to let the idea come to me.

I'm guessing it was about 20 years ago when my Grandma Olson gave me a frying pan and spatula for Christmas. I fondly remember the days of cooking and baking with her, and certain dishes became favorites of mine because of the time we shared in the kitchen, and... well... plus they're delicious.

One dish is the ever so simple mashed potatoes and the other, Swedish pancakes. I learned from the best and have cherished the pan I received from her. The pan got quite a bit of use and many a pancake was flipped in it, from home to college and back, and finally the move to my own house.

After about 15 years of use and abuse, I decided to retire the pan. It was supposed to be non stick, but it was worn with scratches and the finish dulled. I was not a fan of prying my food out of the pan, and throwing the pan away wasn't an option. It sat in the basement for about 5 years because in the back of my head, I knew I wanted to paint the inside of the pan and hang it in my house, but I never had the inspiration for what to paint until today... I was patiently waiting for something special and meaningful to me.


So, I went with my favorite quote from the wonderful book GUTS by Kristen Johnston. I like to read, but it's usually for pure enjoyment, so I just float through a book without a second thought and tend to have the reading comprehension equivalent to that of a gold fish.

I've now read this book 3 times and listened to it once in less than a year. It gets me to think every single time. If I have a piece of GUTS hanging in my house, then maybe I'll wake up to a little inspiration each day.

I wanted to get the font right, so I traced the letters on notepad paper made from elephant dung. Had to give it a little added character! Then I glued the letters on before I started painting. As you can tell, the rest of it was done done freehand. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to paint in a straight line when the the object is round. I guess you'll have that. I can't wait to get this hung up on the wall.

"At the end of the day, funny and interesting will always kick pretty and perfect's ass." - Kristen Johnston

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SIMPLY MARVELOUS! Great job.
Momma

Amanda Rassi said...

That's awesome! Love the quote!