Sunday, December 23, 2007

How you should NOT light a candle.

This is a "snapshot" of what my microwave looked like when I tried to melt the wax in a glass candle jar, so I could clean the jar and recycle it. Once upon a time the wick had gotten consumed by the wax and was no longer burnable.

Little did I know the teeny-tiny wick holder at the bottom had some metal in it. Within 6 seconds of pressing start, sparks were flying in the microwave and the flame looked like a blow torch. The glass even got scorched along the bottom where the metal was.

I strongly suggest NOT using your microwave to light a candle, although it is possible. Not that I was trying, but Myth CONFIRMED.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just can't understand why you didn't capture this live action on film--preferably on videotape for YouTube or to send in to the Mythbusters TV show. At least you could have snapped a quick digital photo! What were you thinking by going straight to the microwave buttons to cancel this spectacular phenomenon?

Anonymous said...

Hey, "thumbs up" for your illustration of the blow-torching candle wick!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Bob- great artwork. Too bad there are no "tiny little clouds" in your microwave.

Anonymous said...

I always wondered what would happen...

Jennay said...

Interesting..............