Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Very First Skype = Legendary

The grin still plastered on my face.
Thanks to the overwhelming generosity of people I've never met or even follow on Twitter, I was fortunate enough to enjoy a 15 minute Skype conversation with Kristen Johnston (Kjo). She's one of my favorite people to follow on Twitter and I've enjoyed her work from her most recent book GUTS to watching her on 3rd Rock from the Sun back in the day.

After reading her book last year (2012), it left me with the feeling that we might have much in common even though I don't relate 100% to her battle with addiction that she so bravely shared in her book. At some point in time she decided to follow me on Twitter. Yep, I'm still not sure how that one happened.

Anyway, over the last several months, we shared a few direct messages here and there. I would fill my brother in and he would come to know Kjo as my "new BFF". I giggle every single time I jokingly say this or think about it. I'm such a dork.

So, how did I get this Skype experience? The super quick version. Kjo donated a 30 minute Skype conversation to the first person to donate $1,000 to worth cause organized by a phenomenal person (AKA, Carroll Center and Geno Carter). Wishing I had $1,000 to donate, I simply sat back and watched the tweets fly by. Then the very generous donor of $1,000 flipped around his 30 minutes and asked Kjo if she would do two 15 minutes.

I made one donation already, but decided to empty my paypal account of a dismal $40 to throw my hat in the ring. I'm not sure why Kjo said, "Hope you win!!", but I'll take it!

I found out I was chosen on Sunday and was in a bit of shock. Thanks to @SecretIngrdient for choosing me. I shared this news with Tom and Mom and decided to let the idea of the Skype simmer and brew over the next couple of days. To my surprise Kjo was ready to chat on New Years Day, so who was I to keep her waiting.

But what would I say. After two days simmering, all I could come up with is me wanting to tell her about StageIt.com (How cool would it be for her to read a chapter out of her book and answer a few questions? People who couldn't make it to a book signing could donate money to SLAMNYC), and I wanted to ask her if she has anything on her "bucket list".

I got to share the StageIt idea and ask my question. Along with sharing things I never thought I would. It was a real conversation, not just some boring small talk. I am beyond thankful for this opportunity and honestly took a lot out of this short conversation.

And what I laugh about, now that it's over... is how my computer completely froze during our conversation. I sat there in aw about how Kjo was frozen on my screen. Move the mouse, nothing. Ctrl+Alt+Delete, nothing. Power button, nothing. I literally had to take out the battery to restart my computer. As I freak out, I DM Kjo on Twitter and she simply told me to call her back. My thought, so cool. Once we're "reunited" she's comments how it happened during such a great conversation. My thoughts exactly.

I love it, her profile pick is Pinky, her beloved rescue dog.


Who would have thought 2013 would have such an extraordinary start?!?!

1 comment:

P-town Tom said...

Sounds like a complete blast! You'll have to fill me in later with all the juicy details. You always have the best Kjo stories!