Saturday, January 5, 2013

Building a 1950's Chevy Truck

I've done quite a few projects over the years, with most of them being for family or friends. This Christmas, my dad was the recipient of a 1950's 1:25 scale model Chevrolet 3100 Pickup Truck.

Why? Well, here's my inspiration:

Tom "driving" Ed, my dad's 1953 Chevy truck restoration project, as dad guides them into the workshop.

This was the first plastic model I've put together. I decided to go with three main colors, charcoal gray, green, and rust color. Sure, this helped keep costs down, but I don't think dad would have wanted it any other way. His dream would be to get Ed up and running and not have to paint him. I don't believe the insurance company will let that fly (too much rust), so I wanted to give dad a glimpse at what Ed might look like if not painted.

There were over 100 pieces and some small enough I had to use tweezers to put them together. Every inch need to be painted, except for the tires and "chrome". I chose gray for the underside and green for the exterior. At the end, I added the rust highlights.

For my first plastic model, I don't think it turned out too shabby. May I present to you Ed Jr.





And if you missed this over the holidays, here's Sparky after opening a couple presents and inspecting our wrapping paper balls, which missed the paper bag basket.

3 comments:

Tyra Shortino said...

So what was your dad’s decision if you’re not allowed to repaint it? It’s not at all bad looking, no? It even has that classical appeal to it. But I know he’ll change his mind. After all, it would defeat the purpose of the restoration project itself if it isn’t completely reinstated. It would be nice to see it brought back to its old glory. :)

Ava Harness said...

Well, repainting is really one of the simplest yet the best ways to bring an old car back to life, but if your dad doesn’t want to do it, you just have to respect his decision. What’s important is that it is still running great. :)

Cheryl Hart said...

Looks just like the restored Ed. Have say you did a marvelous job.