Monday, August 22, 2011

CO Vacation: Thursday, Day 3

So, you may have noticed that I skipped over Day 2. To quickly fill you in, I spent a majority of the day at Red Rocks hiking the trails and taking 101 photos. I thoroughly enjoy the scenery out their and can't wait to start looking through those photos.

Now on to Day 3, Disc Golf Day! First up, Birds' Nest Disc Golf Course, 24 holes!

Here is the view from one of the tees.
This was another one of my views.
As you probably noticed, the terrain was quite different than what you get in Illinois. It was quite dry, so I didn't have to worry about any water on this particular course. The brush was tall in places, but pretty sparse.

There was quite a bit of cacti that I did my best to avoid, but I believe it was hole #20 that was a mini cacti forest down the fairway and a wicked thick brush off to the left. I spent many minutes searching for my disc in the brush, and then once I found it, I launched it unknowingly into the cacti.
I had a blast playing the Birds' Nest and didn't come across many other players when I was out there mid-morning. I only got to play 20 of the holes because 2, 3, 6, and 7 were closed for work/restoration.

Upon completion of Birds' Nest, I headed back into Westminster to the Johnny Roberts Memorial Disc Golf Course. This course was part of a small park in the middle of a neighborhood, and somehow they managed to make it a full 18 holes. Kids weren't in school yet, making the course beyond crowded and the holes were tight and criss-crossing. You had to watch out for "traffic" before you threw.

I think I played about 9 of the holes before, hunger, frustration and overall lack of patience set in. Below is the leg of a kind stranger with water shoes going in to get my frisbee before I had a chance to take off my shoes. My yellow disc is floating in the middle of the frame, just beyond the plant.
After a quick hamburger happy meal with milk and apples, I made my way to the final disc golf course of the day in Westminster City Park. It was actually located on the same grounds of a local community college.

I believe this is photo from around the 4th hole, the beginning of prairie dog land. There's a little guy on watch in the middle of the frame. I must say, I disturbed their afternoon and gave them quite a bit to bark about.
By this time, I have over 35 disc golf holes under my belt for the day and have been drinking fluids like crazy in the feels like 100 degree heat. I was starting to get tired and with the lack of focus, my throws weren't the best and the terrain started to get trickier. The second half of this course ran along the water and I lucked out here where a I just landed in the stinky muddy muck.
This was just around the bend from where I landed, on my way to the next hole. It was a nice opportunity to rinse of the muddy disc.
I had a several more mishaps while attempting to complete the second half of the course. I had at least 4 different varieties of "stickies" attached to me and my shoes. Some of them would be a great substitute for velcro. At one point I had to climb down to rescue my disc as it teetered at the edge of the water.

I also had to cross the creek at points where there was no bridge... not cool! Once I thought I got past the water holes, I switched over from my floating disc to a regular one. It was my second throw on the last hole and my disc found water. There was a bend in the creek that I didn't see or hear, and my disc had to land in it. The Cheetah sank like a stone.

After a long day of disc golf, 47 holes, I was tuckered out. Don't worry, I replaced the Cheetah and got another new disc at the local Play it Again Sports in Westminster.

3 comments:

Jennay said...

Looks like you had alot of fun! :)

P-town Tom said...

That's some serious golfing! Well done!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you played so MANY holes of disc golf. Bravo. Momma