Wednesday, August 24, 2011

CO Vacation: Sunday, Day 6

Sunday was my day to attempt to sleep in, but it did not work nearly as planned. Gosh darn internal clock. If Emily and Joe hadn't drug me to Dave and Buster's one night and forced me to get my photo taken with Canaan Smith another night, I would have been getting to bed earlier.

Well, either way, Sunday was bound to come around and I was dragging butt. Emily actually let me drink caffeinated coffee at breakfast! Unfortunately, it never quite knocked me out of my semi-zombie state.

Luckily Emily was more awake than me and was able to navigate the car safely to the Denver Zoo where we got to see Casper's cousins. Did I mention it was another super hot and sunny day and most of the animals were snoozing.
I was hoping to hear the zookeepers speak about the elephants, but they never made they way over to them after the hippos. I wanted to learn a bit more about the Asian Tropics exhibit they are building and is scheduled to open next year. There were 2 huge metal "Pod-like" containers in their enclosure (surely for them to get acclimated to before getting moved next year).

As we walked to their enclosure we heard some loud metal banging and soon realized it was one of the elephants playing the metal container like a drum. At the conclusion of the song, a huge trumpet was let out by the elephant... pretty sweet!
Here's the latest animal that has me fascinated. Meet my friend the Okapi.

I love his super cool markings and need to learn more about him. Maybe I'll be able to adopt one somehow!

After the zoo, we ate at a wonderful place called Larkburger. If you ever see one, I would strongly suggest trying it. Soon after, I was packing and headed out on a plane for home.

I can't believe I had such a fun, jam-packed vacation. I had a blast, but totally wore myself out. Monday was the day of sleeping, and I can't remember sleeping that much except for when I'm hit with the flu.

2 comments:

P-town Tom said...

Larkburger... nice, very nice. I'll have to try to hit that place up when I'm out in CO in a month.

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing about Okapis when I was a kid--perhaps on "Captain Kangaroo" or on "Wild Kingdom." Didn't know they were so fabulously fashioned. Mom