Friday, July 23, 2010

Day #4 of Memories

I'll begin with the answer to the sombrero I'm sporting in the photo below. My crazy coworkers threw a pillowcase over my head at noon today and hijacked me to Chevy's. It was a surprise super fun lunch that ended with Happy-Happy Birthday, a sweet ice cream treat, and the sombrero. I got another round of 30-something presents. All useful or edible items (colorful paper clips-big and small, fragrant tea light candles, different candies, animal crackers, and Starbucks giftcard).

My desk had been hit the evening before with balloons, streamers, and a butter tub full of teeny tiny confetti. I'll be finding that for the rest of the year (thanks Jenny!) Oh, I can't leave out Ryan's serenade of Happy-Happy Birthday with mini-dance first thing in the morning. Birthday celebration #2, a fun time with the coworkers. If you're wondering, I wore the sombrero the rest of the day at work.

I'd like to know what was the best advice you ever received from a family member? - Momma
Off the top of my head, nothing really sticks out. It's not often that people sit you down and say, "Hey, listen to me, I've got some good advice you should follow."

My mind goes towards memories of my Grandma Olson who passed away when I was only 14. Maybe she was just spoiling us grand-kids, but it always seemed like she was having fun, whether it was taking us to Valparaiso to play mini golf and race go-karts or letting us know that if we misbehave in the car that she'd flip the ejector seat switch. She must have got a kick out of that one, I was convinced for years that my seat could eject from the car with a flip of the switch. (Best photo representation I could find online)

She always joked about her age and stayed on 49 for quite a few years. She'd always play card games with us kids and r0de us around the neighborhood on the golf cart. We had so much fun together! She never officially said it to me, but in her actions I picked up the idea of bringing smiles and happiness to others with the little things and having fun at any age (What's it matter how many years you've been around? The older you are, the more things you've found to do, so you can have fun.)

I remember one of our road trips to Valpo and we were listening to an "old school" country station. The song changed and the next thing I heard was yodeling (for the first time, other than the Price Is Right). I must have been around 11 years old, and I completely lost it! I was laughing, kackling, crying and imitating the yodeling. I probably talked about it for days and no doubt told my parents when we got back home.

My memory is a bit fuzzy on the time of the year for this story, but I do know that the next birthday or Christmas (whichever came first), I received two cassette tapes that include yodeling favorites from Austria & Switzerland. Priceless!

No comments: