Sunday, June 16, 2013

24th Weekend of the Year

My weekend was supposed to consist of seeing some distant friends and competing in the Warrior Dash. Unfortunately, the stars were aligned for none of this to happen. Last weekend I pouted around the house with a bum ankle, and I refused to have another "woe is me" weekend.

Friday night Sparky and I headed to Peoria Stadium to watch Jim play softball. It was a beautiful night for a game, but I could do without the mosquito bite below my right eye.

Saturday I woke up earlier than a work day because I needed to be at mile marker 2 of the Steamboat Classic to hand out water to runners of the 4 and 9 mile races. Whitney's Walk for Life traded 24 volunteers for informational packets getting stuffed into Steamboat participant packets.

I had so much fun being a part of the lime green army that was handing out and splashing water on the runners, and I hope we get this opportunity again next year. I don't ever recall being told thank you that many times in one day, let alone a hour and a half.

Would you give me a chance to thank you? I'm participating in Whitney's Walk again this year and could use your help to blow my modest fundraising goal of $150 out of the water. Post from 2010 on why I joined the lime green army. Also, I may be the only one that says "lime green army".

Saturday afternoon brought on a road trip to Geneva, IL with Jim and Tom to watch the Kane County Cougars, single A club for the Chicago Cubs. It was a bit sunny out, so Jim loaned me his newly won hat to fight of the rays.

I few highlights from the evening:
1. Getting our photo taken with the Chick-fil-a cow
2. Player autograph session before the game
3. Team baseball card set giveaway
4. Caught foul ball

Here's Jim and Tom in the lucky foul ball catching row of 'O', no doubt discussing baseball. I don't think there's anyone else I'd rather go to games with. Fun is always in the cards and I can't help but revert back to a kid, only this time I have two big brothers. Hopefully Theresa can come next time and join in on the giggling or should I say cackling with me.

It was quite the long day with getting home around 1:00am. Definitely past my bedtime, but the Mt. Dew and slushy helped power me on through the night. Who would have thought 70% chance of rain and thunderstorms would turn out to be such a gorgeous night at the ballpark.

Sunday morning I woke up around 7:00, then fed the natives and myself. Then I fell asleep on the couch and got woken up about 10 minutes prior to my alarm when my Dad called to ask me to run an errand on my way over today. Shortly after I was shaking my head... at myself!

If you live under a rock, then you probably haven't seen the thousands of postings on Twitter and Facebook wishing dads all over a Happy Father's Day. What I don't expect you to know is that today is also my Dad's birthday! Well, 5 minutes after I got off the phone with him this morning is when I realized I mentioned neither to him. Yep, classic! Still shaking my head.

As Sparky and I headed down my parents' street, I saw half a car barrelling down on us. What the heck kind of vehicle is.... wait a second, that's Dad, Tom and Laura in Ed (Dad's 1953 Chevy truck restoration project). Here'a pic of Dad and Grandpa pre-joyride with Ed. Please note, Dad hit is goal... which I completely forgot about, but mentioned in the blog linked above.

Everyone got a ride in Ed today. Quite the different experience than our first opportunity to sit in Ed.
Such a fun surprise!

No comments: