Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Time to buckle down. Let's get serious.

So, I'm one for taking surveys to earn money or points to purchase things I like. I've earned over $50 in Ticketmaster gift cards this year for taking surveys while watching a Cubs game or two. I also like to sign up for contests. Can't hurt to win a couple concert tickets or some cash, but what about a healthy living contest?

Yes, that's right, entering myself to win 15 free weeks of Seattle Sutton's Healthy Living, so I can challenge myself and 9 others and move towards becoming a better me. As I filled out my entry and relived my struggles over the many, many years, I've come to realize few things. I'm not getting any younger and if I want to be active as I get older, I need to change my ways. The only thing that's been a true answer to this problem was watching what I eat and exercising regularly.

It's really not rocket science and people all around me are able to do it, so why not me? It pretty much boils down to will power and the need for me to have a goal. If I commit myself to something, then I have to work towards that goal. (Suggestions for a sporting event/race in 2013 are welcome.)

Why do I feel the need to write about this? Well, if it's "down on paper" then I'm more likely to do it, and if anyone reads my blog, then they can help keep me to this. Yes, as I mentioned it all boils down to my will power, but support along the way can't hurt.

Hmmm, what are my first steps going to be. I'm going to start counting calories again. I found that it makes me more aware of what I'm putting in my body and forces me to think twice. Do I really want to see that I wasted blank number of calories on another stupid Starbucks drink and completely wiped out the effort I put into riding the recumbent bike? Nope, so it's time to dust of my knowledge and start making healthier eating choices.

I also need to get moving more, no excuses. If my knee hurts, then use the punching bag or weights for my upper body. If I've screwed up my hand, then ride the bike or take Sparky for a stroll. Time to get Sparky and myself out seeing the world again. Plus, who doesn't like to wear neon reflective clothing?

I think that sums up my thoughts for now. Below is a photo from a couple months ago. Yes, I know it's the teeny-tiny Shawn Johnson, but I don't want to feel like a monster standing next to her. Taller, fine and dandy... monster, no thank you.

1 comment:

Amy Talcott said...

First of all, you have some kind of flower or frond coming out of your head in that picture. That's all I really see. In all seriousness, though, you are one of the most amazing people I know and this is just one more great thing to add to your bucket list of great things that you do. We can keep each other motivated (now that it's "down on paper"). You can make sure I run my lame-ass two miles in the dead of winter, and I promise to give you a reason to punch something each and every day of the work week. Deal?