Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 2 Windsor Locks CT, Springfield MA to Sturbridge MA

Today's goal was to see the Titanic Museum and make it to Sturbridge for the rehearsal dinner, with enough time to iron the super wrinkled usher shirts.

I planned to get to the Titanic museum in Springfield around 10am when it opened. Little did I know (thank you google!) that there is a 208 Main St in Springfield and the outlying town of Indian Orchard. Definitely not the last time I'll be taking an overly circuitous route to get somewhere.

I found 208 Main, but it was a jewelry store, what gives? Well, small sign about 1x3 foot in the upper right of the front window mentioned the museum. Uh-oh, now what am I in for? Note: I drove by and walked past this building about 6 times before I concluded that I was indeed in the correct location.

The Titanic Historical Society had two rooms at the back of the store crammed full of Titanic and White Star Line pieces. The even had consoles from the ship/vessel that found the wreck, along with items from the movie.

It was amazing how knowledgeable they were. I guess it helps when you've been able to communicate with at least 45 survivors over the years. Not exactly the museum I expected, but for a measly $4, it was time and money well spent.

I slowly made my way east to Sturbridge where I was welcomed by half a dozen dogs in the Days Inn lobby. Mostly pugs and Boston terriers, and a handful of other breeds. Some sort of pug rescue group convention in a town over. No joke, I think the dogs outnumber the people in this hotel.

After a quick pitstop, I headed over to the rehearsal and then BBQ that followed. I made a couple stops in between the events and sadly got no random comments on my usher shirt.

Thankfully all at the rehearsal enjoyed them! It was a nice touch to help lighten the mood and was a nice ice breaker for meeting people. Too bad I can't wear it tomorrow. It was a nice evening and good to see Matt, Brian and their families. Tomorrow will be a lovely day, no matter what Mother Nature has in store.

No clue how the photos will be posted, I typed this all on my phone. Pictures include the Titanic Museum store front, my hotel neighbor's door, and Brian, myself, and Matt.

1 comment:

P-town Tom said...

Love the updates, keep them coming!