Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 5 Hartford and Surrounding Towns

I had a few must-dos on my list today. The top two were Avery Soda and the Fish Family Farm. I had their locations, but not a clue how long each would take.

I hit Avery Soda first in New Britain. It was a simple operation that still uses equipment from the 1950's and had countless varieties if soda, which I bought and later taste tested 6 kinds. My favorite was the Birch Beer. Reminded me of Beeman's gum or Pepsodent toothpaste flavor.

After about 15 minutes, I was on my merry way to the Fish Family Farm in Bolton where they make cheese, ice cream and yogurt. I could see the cheese making process take place before my eyes, and I got to say Hi to the cows. The only single serving item was the ice cream. I opted for sweet cream, the base for vanilla, without the vanilla. So good!

I stopped at Lena's First and Last Pizzeria for lunch, also good! Then I traveled into Hartford to their Science Museum where I saw the IMAX 3D shows, Meerkat, and Tornado Alley. Fun times. I did got through the exhibits, starting in the top floor and working my way down. Unfortunately, I ran into school groups on the last two levels, so didn't get the chance to experience all of the hands-on exhibits.

I was starting to get tuckered out, so I programmed my hotel into Suzy. I got sidetracked at the USS Chowder Pot IV, and had one last super delicious seafood extravaganza of a meal. Yum.

Now I'm chilling in my room with some playoff baseball. Happy that I decided to only taste test my Avery Sodas. I think all that cane sugary goodness would have given me a belly ache. Now to pre-pack for my departure tomorrow and relax.

Photos in no particular order include Avery's, Avery's sodas, me sporting some 3D glasses, and the room of "magic" at Fish Family Farm.

3 comments:

P-town Tom said...

Was it clam chowder that you had at the USS Chowder Pot IV? Blah!

Anonymous said...

What, no cow photos? Seriously, I enjoyed this blog. Momma

Jane said...

I ate my fair share of clams, but I didn't have any clam chowda. I leave that to Campbell's.

I have cow photos, but to most people, a cow is just a cow.