Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Taraxacum

So, I was doing a google search for dandelion, so I could find a picture to post with this entry. My heavy thumbs clicked on the tracking pad and took me to the Wikipedia page for Taraxacum. That's the big fancy name for dandelion. And apparently they are entirely edible.

I just new that their yellow color stands out in the yard, and the more you have, the less it looks like you care about your yard. You can make their "heads pop off". It's fun to pick them and blow the parachute ball (white fluffy part) all over the place like bubbles. Oh, and, if you rub the flower on your skin, that patch turns yellow and kids may tease you that you got peed on.

Probably want to know why I'm writing about dandelions. Well, after having a lawn and yard conversation with Tom and Jim over the weekend... I decided to heed some of their advise. I plucked as many dandelions I could find in the front yard this evening and followed up each hole with a squirt of weed (not grass) killer. They I spread some grass seed around the yard.

We'll see what happens and if it is any help to get more grass in my yard. I still have my fair share of clover, crab crass, and plantain weeds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the weed-fightin' battle! It seems like it's never-ending, what with dandelions in neighbors' yards. :-) Momma