Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Waiting 'til next year

Non sports fan may not know that "Waiting 'til next year" is a phrase said too often by a Cubs fan. Let's see... 1945 since the last World Series appearance and 1908 for the last World Series Championship title. I guess I'm lucky to have even seen them reach the playoffs.

Anyway, thanks to Tom and his Cubs season ticket holding friend Jeff, I was able to go to a couple Cubs' games this season. As an added bonus, last weekend Tom, Jim and I road tripped up to Chicago for a season ticket holders presentation. (Note: Jeff now lives in Texas and couldn't attend.) 

Jeff's simple request in exchange for his tickets was a summary of the event and any swag handed out at the event. Tom already provided him a rundown of the event and I helped fulfill the swag part.

The photo below pictures Theo Epstein, the head of Cubs player development or something like that. (Tom's gonna shoot me.) Anyway, Theo is the person most came to hear. What's the plan for getting a set of players that can form a winning ballclub? Well, sounds like Theo has a plan... let's hope it works.

After a presentation of the future of the Cubs from the player side and business perspective (Wrigley Field renovation and player facility plans), we exited the theater and were treated with a Cubs Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary Season Ticket Holder Edition Hat. My mission began. I needed to get a hat for the true season ticket holders, Jeff and his wife Nichole, and the cherry on top would be Theo's autograph.

The hat wasn't a problem, and I just barely squeaked my way in for an autograph before Theo had to bolt. Here's the back of my head as Theo signs Jeff's hat.

Were you worried that I gave my hat away to Jeff? Have no fear, Stealth Jane is here! Had it not been for the myriads of hat boxes sitting around untouched, I probably wouldn't have accomplished such a feat, but I managed to snag 3 hats!

  1. Exit the theater, get hat and immediately hide 1st hat under hooded sweatshirt
  2. Walk around corner and ask the nearest "hat giver outer" where the bathroom is. Hide 2nd hat with the other and then use facilities.
  3. Leave facilities to meet up with Tom and Jim. Jim asks, "Didn't you get a hat?" (He was an accomplice and didn't even know it!) Add 3rd hat to the collection.

Tom and Jim didn't do so well, they only got one hat each.

Headed home, the boys assigned me the task to find a good pizza joint. I gotta say, Papa's Pizza Place was excellent. A little difficult to find their establishment in Bolingbrook when their lighted sign didn't work, but worth the search.

Road trips at night when I have to sit in the back seat usually include glow sticks. This was no exception. This time I actually got some passengers to wave back at my light show!

I suppose when you turn the lights on me, I do look kind of goofy. Oh well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well played on sneaking the hats! Nichole and I are very thankful for your sneakiness.