Sunday, November 17, 2013

Processing Today - Tornado

Today is not what it should have been. A week ago I would have predicted a non-eventful somewhat chilly November day. Sure, I had to go to work in the morning, but a relaxing day of hanging with friends over lunch and the Chicago Bears game was to follow.

Mother Nature had something different in store for Central Illinois today. Temperatures in the mid-60's as I left work around 10:30am. Kristina noted how the sky looked like tornado weather. I shrugged it off... a bad storm, maybe, but a tornado... nah.

I gathered some things up at home and headed out just before 11:00am to go pick up Tom. Considering I didn't pay any attention to the weather, I very thankful Tom and Laura live West of me. Had I driven about the same distance (8 miles) East of my house, I very well could have driven into a tornado. 

I was just blocks away from home when the sirens went off, and the rain and wind picked up so much I had to pull off the road because I couldn't see. Not being able to seek shelter was quite unnerving. After a few minutes, the rain let up in an instant. I continued my way towards the blue sky as I drove through the flooded streets of Peoria. Little did I know, many of my neighbors across the river just got their lives turned upside down.

My heart goes out to those in Washington, East Peoria and Pekin and their families who have been impacted by the storms and tornado. I've been glued to social media since I returned home, and have seen such outpouring of kindness.

An excess of volunteers, leading news outlets to request people to stay home, so the police, fire fighters, emergency responders, Red Cross, and National Guard can do their jobs. Veterinary offices staying open to take in lost pets and help match them up with owners. Hardware stores keeping doors open overnight so supplies can still be had. Towns over 100 miles away collecting debris and posting images on facebook in hopes of returning family photos and treasures back to those affected.

I want to help and look forward to seeing how I can do my part in the coming days. I wonder if it's a coincidence that the Red Cross called me tonight for a blood donation. Either way, it's a simple thing I can do and I invite anyone to join me this coming Saturday the 23rd to donate. I would be more than happy to treat you to brunch afterward!

Looks like I can also let my money do some talking through The Salvation Army

No comments: