Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Newport, RI - Vacation with "My Boys"

Last Thursday I hopped on a flight with the final destination of Boston. My new friends headed to the Czech Republic helped keep me awake during the first leg of my trip, but the less than 4 hours of sleep started to catch up with my on the second leg.

Even with my lack of awareness, I was able to sneak up on Matt and Brian as they waited for me at baggage claim. This would be the beginning of an awesome weekend with great friends who also double as fantastic hosts. In my head... I consider them "my boys".


The first night we played catch-up and they treated me to my first ever Indian meal. Five dishes among the three of us equaled a smorgasbord of new flavors for my taste buds to experience. Definitely a cuisine I could get used to, but didn't exactly step up to the spice challenge this time around.


Friday morning the boys and hopped in the car and headed south towards Newport, RI. First stop was Fort Adams. Not my typical site to see, but I was game. I've never been one for history, but when you have a tour guide that helps bring you to the time period and builds a scene in your head... well, I can get on board with that.


I wish I could remember all the facts I heard, but my brain doesn't work like that. We did get to walk inside the walls, on top of the wall, and even explored a listening tunnel (gotta know when you enemies might try to dig in).


After a lunch to refuel and hydrate, we made our way to the cliff walk. The cliff walk path ran 3.5 miles along the coast. A majority of it was a paved sidewalk with either a fence or a ton of foliage in between you and the edge. The water and sky were beautiful, but I wanted to see the waves crashing on the rocks below.


I was honestly disappointed and irritated with the blisters I was getting on a couple of my toes. I kept plugging along with the guys because it was bound to get better, right? They must have the beware, danger, do not enter signs for some reason, right?


Walk far enough and you'll get the chance to do a little bouldering. You may be moving slower because of blisters, but the enjoyment helps take away the pain. If it weren't for the boys, I would have missed some very worthwhile experiences on this trip.


About 6 miles later and we were back to the car. Our future? Dinner and a date with Rhode Island's best improve troupe, the Bit Players. Had some great laughs and phenomenal seafood! This was my Clam Stuffy appetizer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even though you told me a lot of this already, I loved reading this! Momma