Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Most of the Rest

I wasn't very trigger happy during this trip. Probably because taking pictures seemed like too much effort in the 90+ heat. I really wonder what the heat index was. With highs of 92, did we have a heat index of 100?

Anyway, here are some additional photos from the trip. Don't worry, I'll fill you in on a couple things I didn't take photos of.

Prior to the Iowa Cubs game Sunday afternoon, Mom wanted to view the sculpture park that was located in the downtown Des Moines area. Here she is with one of her favorite pieces. It was a bunch of metal letters welded and hinged together.
After the sculpture park, we headed to Principal Park where the Iowa Cubs played. Gates opened 90 minutes before the game and my plan was to get some autographs, so we were there before the gates opened. It wasn't setup quite like I anticipated, nor was I at the beginning of the line. So, I opted to just "settle" for getting Sandberg's autograph. I just couldn't pass up th Hall of Famer, especially when I already have a good portion of the teams signatures from the Chiefs or Cubs Caravan.

I had a Midwest League ball I was going to get signed, but Mom bought a program and that looked so much cooler, so I went for that. The other reason why I passed up on stalking the players was because it was mystery ball giveaway day. We each got to pick a wrapped autograph ball. It was like Christmas, not knowing what signature you would get. I originally got Jeff Stevens and Sam Fuld, but traded Fuld for a Brian Schlitter.
Here's a shot from where are seats were supposed to be for the LBT/Sugarland concert. This was the longest grandstand I could have imaged, with non-proportional sized stage!
Let's see, what's next. This is one of the Sky Tracks or Sky Trams they had. Mom and I rode one that went across a different section of the fair. It was neat to see everything from that perspective, but slightly nerve-wracking for me. I took this photo on Saturday, and this area was one of the least crowded I saw.
I regret to inform you or maybe I'm proud to say that I didn't eat anything fried on a stick. Now, I did have one of the best cookie monsters ever. Then again, any ice cream treat tastes like the worlds best when you've been melting for hours.

Also, I'm sad to say that I did not investigate what a Twinkie Log is.
I don't remember exactly what I said to get a reaction like this out of Mom... possible something about the Twinkie Log? And this wasn't even the day that I was all sugared up. If you have x-ray vision, you can see the Cubs fanny-pack she was sporting under her shirt. ;)
What else can I report on this evening. As I've mentioned to a few, Iowa does not have Bob Evans. Most, if not all of the Iowa rest areas we saw had wireless internet. Iowa Farm and Fleets and Family Dollars are quite similar to ours in Peoria. Shopping at outlet malls isn't a bad experience when you actually find good deals on things you need. Iowa cheese is just as good as Wisconsin cheese, well at least from Maytag Dairy Farms. Sleep is good, but hijacking Mom for a concert road trip is beyond better.

No comments: