Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Frozen Garage Door 1 - Jane 0

In case you haven't heard, my garage door does not like this frigid weather. It got soaked during the rain last week and promptly froze, making it heavier than heck. With this below freezing weather, it's just too heavy for the automatic opener to lift it up off the ground more than half way.

Anyway, here's my story from yesterday:
1. Park the car in the driveway.
2. Unlock and shove my way through the side door.
3. Unlock and raise the garage door.
4. Start the car and pull in.
5. Close and lock the garage door.
6. Go outside and attempt to close the side door.
7. Go back in garage and look at what part of the door is catching.
8. The door is now wedged to the point I can't pull it back open.
9. With no inside handle I attempt to pry it open with a screwdriver.
10. Survey says the screwdriver is going to break first.
11. Kick the door all the way shut and lock the door.
12. Now that I did open and close the garage door, maybe it will actually open by itself.
13. Unable to to get to the ladder, launch myself up from the bumper of the car to relock the manual pull thingy.
14. Jump up again and push it the correct way.
15. Push the button and the chain opens without having caught the door.
16. Push the button to "close" the door.
17. Pull the manual cord again.
18. Launch myself from the bumper to click manual lock into place.
19. Push garage door button.
20. Watch garage door creak open 3 inches and lurch back shut.
21. Pull manual cord again.
22. Lift door manually.
23. Close door.
24. Notice light was left on.
25. Open door.
26. Turn off light
27. Close and lock door.
28. Enter house and attempt to unzip jacket.
29. Feed cats while fingertips warm up.
30. Escape out of jacket.

I can't help but laugh about how it took me a good 20 minutes to get from my car into the house yesterday. I'll definitely be welcoming the warmer weather!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of home ownership!

Nomer said...

Very detailed post!

Amanda Rassi said...

This is quite the commentary. I can just picture it now. =)