Monday, April 18, 2011

New Toy for the Walk-Jogs

In order to make my walk-jogging more fun, I bought a Garmin Forerunner 305. It's a super cool watch that includes GPS and a program to log your journey's on your computer. Despite the gross weather this evening, I had to try it out.

Here's my course for this evening through Springdale.
I used the lap setting on the watch to mark when I walked and when I jogged. I was able to determine that my walking pace is about 3.7 mph and my jog floats somewhere between 4.5 and 5.0 mph with a blistering max speed of 5.4. Hey, you gotta start somewhere, right?

Now the chart below is pretty neat. It shows my pace. The upward spikes are the stop/pauses against my will for crossing streets or Sparky potty breaks. The program has a pace grid and I can see my fastest paces officially are in the category of a slow jog... this makes me happy. Go ahead, just try to walk faster than me!
I think this Building Steam program is just the motivation I needed... I'd like to give a special thanks to Naomi for the invite, many thanks to Tom for the Warrior Dash goal, and thanks to anyone else that puts up with my talking about my walk-jog adventures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool watch, although your route picture looks like a bicycle chain! Hugs, Momma

Sandra said...

ok, I'm extremely jealous of your new toy... so cool!!!