Thursday, March 27, 2014

TBT Cubs Spring Training 2004

Over the last week I couldn't help but compare my experiences to a similar time back in 2004 when Tom and I headed down to Cubs Spring Training in Mesa, AZ.

It was a whirlwind of a time. Meeting Tom Thursday afternoon in Hartsburg-Emdem on our way to Springfield to catch a puddle-jumper to St. Louis with a connecting flight to Dallas/Ft Worth to our final destination of Phoenix.

It was an epic day of travel from all of the passengers turning green on the puddle-jumper, then a St. Louis delay/fly around a storm to a cart ride across multiple terminals in DFW and eventually landing in Phoenix the next day. Only to wake up in our upgraded suite to look out the window and see mountains in the distance with a wonderment of... where are we?

We spent just over 2 days in the Mesa/Scottsdale/Phoenix area. I remember things like Tom and I finding the popular local hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant, driving around the highways taking photos out the car window while cackling my ass off, our sun screen deactivating our hotel key cards, reverting to a little kid to get autographs, and most of all... enjoying the time spent with my brother. 

(I took this photo of Ryan Dempster signing autographs before their home game at Hohokam Park, and got it autographed the next year Dempster came through Peoria with the Cubs Caravan.)

I couldn't tell you who won or lost the games, but I'm guessing Tom can. I have evidence that Kerry Wood warmed up prior to the away game and most likely was the starter, but my memory fails me when it comes to the details of the two games we saw.

But I remember us shopping at a local grocery store and getting suckered into buying girl scout cookies, being too chicken to walk up to one of my favs at the time, Michael Barrett, for an autograph after the game when he was in street clothes, and seeing Tom get snubbed by Nic Jackson for an autograph at least twice. Nic Jackson who? Exactly! Guess "big head" didn't get too far.

Anyway, this post will lead you into the happenings of a much overdue return to Cubs Spring Training. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

P-town Tom said...

Nope, I can't remember who won the games in '04. It was a fun time though!