Monday, March 31, 2014

Day 4 - Baseball to the Third Power

The third day of baseball started out by missing the window for the hotel breakfast, so we hoofed it over to Dunkin Donuts. As we sat outside in the shade of the umbrella, I decided to walk over to Big Lots to see about getting a golf umbrella. Our plan was to watch a AAA and AA ball game at the Cubs practice fields where Tom could leap and almost touch the top of the tallest shade tree. Besides trying to stay in the shade, keeping hydrated was quite important on what would be the hottest day during our vacation.
I'm happy to report the Slurpees were on me because I someone happened upon a $50 bill on the sidewalk between Big Lots and the hotel. I didn't play the lottery, but I tried the 50/50 raffle at the game that night. Unfortunately, I didn't get my money to multiply.

Oh yeah, we made it to the practice fields to watch a couple of games. Besides getting to root for more former Peoria Chiefs, here's one of the other highlights. Tom and Jim with Theo Epstein, the man that is currently entrusted with putting together a team that will reach and win the World Series. Give him time, we have some great young ball players coming up through the system.

The midday heat was brutal and really starting to get to me. I kept pounding water in hopes of keeping up with the heat and sweating. I wanted to power it out for Tom and Jim and in the back of my head hoped I'd have the opportunity to get a few autographs.

I focused my energy on watching the AAA ballgame where Starlin Castro was rehabbing and got an at-bat in at least 6 straight innings. I sat near a Cubs player's fiance and a host family from when a player used to play in rookie ball with the Boise Hawks. The bleachers next to us housed about a dozen players watching the game.

The atmosphere during this game was quite different. No one was cheering, but then again everyone was a baseball fan and paying attention to the game. I walked over to the players in the stands and asked if it was okay to root and cheer. They gave me the thumbs up and I was quite happy.

I got to clap and root for my favorites and they went on to defeat the Cleveland Indian's AAA ballclub. After the game, I took all my reserved to the other side of the field and asked for a few autographs on their way back to the clubhouse. Adding to my Darnell McDonald autographed mystery ball I bought, I got got Logan Watkins and several others. It was fun explaining to Logan why in the world we would be cheering for him. Loved it!

After the game Tom and Jim asked if I was ready for Dave and Buster's. My tank was empty and i shocked them when I said, "No". Next step was to cool off and refuel. We headed over to a place called Oregano's which had pizza Jim had been talking about for the last couple of days. My thin crust pizza was okay, but I should have taken part in the pan pizza the boys got.


A quick stop to freshen up at the hotel and we were ready to head to the first night game to ever be played at Cubs Park. What we didn't expect was the insane amount of traffic to get to the ballpark. With the ballpark light standards in sight, but the car only moving a few car lengths each green light... well, Tom and I challenged Jim. Bet we can walk to the stadium faster than you can drive.

Tom and I had just over a mile to go and reached the stadium just in time for the National Anthem and first pitch. We were ready to take in the ball game...

...from the second row, which turned out to be the first row with a ton of leg room! But Jim, well he was still "parked" on Rio Salado Parkway. I suppose appropriately named.

Here's the gametime temperature compared to that of Chicago, IL. Each time they announced the difference it got a good laugh from the crowd.

Jim eventually managed to make his way into the ballpark and we were all set to watch another Cubs loss. Even the Cubs new mascot, Clark, was unable to provide the boost the Cubs needed.

To cap off our long day, the Cubs had a nice fireworks show. I've gotta be honest, the Peoria Chiefs do it up so much better.

2 comments:

P-town Tom said...

Totally agreed on the fireworks.

Nice recap of Day 3!

Anonymous said...

walking vs. traffic jam...???
very interesting and a great story