Thursday, February 20, 2014

TBT Olympic Style

Rewind about 10 years and my dad and I were headed up to Chicago to watch my friend Matt run with the Olympic torch on its journey to the Salt Lake City games. After 10 years my mind is a bit fuzzy, but there are a few distinct memories.
This college student didn't have a very good camera at the time. I recall seeing Matt jogging down the street and me taking photos like a mad person and running alongside for a bit. It's amazing I even got a decent shot. Sponsors of the Olympic games provided us mini US and Olympic flags to way along the way. Good thing too because glow sticks wouldn't have done much good in the daytime.

I don't remember the exact timing of the torch carrying in relation to Matt's competitions or training, but I do recall he was headed out of town from Chicago that day or the next. The ziploc bag in my coat pocket contained spritz cookies for him to enjoy on his flight. I'm pretty sure they never even made it to the airport
It was quite the thrill to be there to cheer Matt along, as I had never been fortunate enough to travel to one of his competitions. Sure, I saw him skate in exhibitions in Peoria, but to see people recognize him outside of a Peoria Steak n' Shake was pretty cool. In case you're wondering, Matt did not compete in the 2002 games in SLC, but was an alternate to the team.

Four years later in 2006, it was a different story. My parents and I all attended a portion of the US Figure Skating Nationals that took place in St. Louis. I was very excited to see Matt compete live, but it was sooooo nerve-racking! I have no clue how his parents did it for all of those years.

Sure, it was 4 years later, but I still didn't have a better camera. I do have some great pics of Matt looking like a flying ant on a big sheet of ice! I can't even begin to explain what it's like to see your best friend place 3rd and be named to the Olympic team.
Somehow after his skate was over, I bumped into his mom on my way out of the venue. She snagged me so I could join his family in celebration in one of the suites. As the group waited for Matt to join us, people were wondering what was taking so long. I overheard some extended family members of his saying that he was probably with Jane. Ummmm, nope, I'm Jane, and I'm right here.

Nobody could get through to him on his cell phone and then eventually my phone rang. Matt was walking his way to Union Station to get a sandwich and wanting me to join before I drove back home that night, all while family and friends awaited his arrival in the suite. Absolutely classic! We got him to turn around and join us, but from there, the order of events are pretty blurry. There were hugs, tears, photos (getting chastised by the venue for using flashes that could distract the women skaters), but eventually we did get that bite to eat.

In case you missed it, here's one of Matt's performances from Torino where he finished 7th.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up! I hope Boston Brian sees this. Momma