Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Atlanta Travel

Tonight I shall focus on my Atlanta Travel. I took planes, trains, automobiles... well... and feet, shuttles, escalators, elevators, and moving walkways on my route to, from, in and around Atlanta.

Here's a quick pick of one of the subway platforms. I don't think I would have been nearly as confident of navigating around a big city like this had I not taken a "practice" run in Boston earlier this year.

The basic gist of it was I flew out of Bloomington, landed South of Atlanta at the airport and took the train/subway to the North end of Atlanta where my hotel for the 1st night was located. The courtesy shuttle picked me up from there and took me back to the hotel. Once I got my bearings straight, I hoofed it around the hotel area and took the train into downtown Atlanta the next day. The second night my hotel was right near the aquarium and concert venue.

It was fun taking public transportation and walking to your destinations, but I could do without the super crowded trains (luckily that only happened on a quarter of my rides). I was also quite pleased with the performance of my new iPhone 4... I seriously could have got lost without it because the maps I had weren't that detailed.
With my luggage, I took the elevators at the train stations and if I was traveling light, I opted for the stairs except when I came upon this subway station. The train was about 4 stories down from the street. I'm guessing this escalator was a good 3 stories! I didn't photograph the second shorter elevator.

Going up.

Going down. This was actually a pretty scary ride down.

I should mention that the money I saved by using the MARTA public transit went towards upgrading my flights to and from Atlanta on AirTran Airways. I had a super comfy, roomy seat, attentive and friendly flight attendants. My bags got to fly free, I had complimentary beverages (mmm... Baileys Irish Cream) and snacks throughout the entire flight... not to mention I got to deplane first! Yep, I was livin' it up! If you're going to vacation, you better do it right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this, but the photos were astounding. Is that what your iphone looked like?! Wow. And, who knew a trains are running 4 stories below street leven. Isn't that crazy? Isn't that where the lava and magma are? Did you see any of Tom and Laura's earthworms on the way? Good grief. Momma