Monday, June 15, 2015

CMA Fest 2015 - Day 1

Theresa and I started out CMA Fest 2015 with a quick drive to downtown Nashville, I hike across the pedestrian bridge and then waiting inline for a ridiculous amount of time to be let into FanFairX to see Little Big Town on the CMA Close-up Stage.

We tried to make the best of our wait time and picked up the Kristian Bush fan experience passes we won a couple weeks ago, but the entrance line was still at a complete standstill. The doors were scheduled to open at 10:00 and LBT to take the stage at 10:15. It soon became clear that we would not make it through the crowd, up the escalator, and through security before they started.

But hey, we got inside just in time to watch them play Heads Up with 4 lucky audience members. What?!? Yes, that's right, they played an iPad app game like charades with 4 individuals while hundreds of us watched. I was completely dumbfounded. Below is a pic I took just prior to them switching gears to the game.

We got in the door so late there was no chance of getting close (but I swear that is them above), and we missed all but one of the interview style questions. Below is a pic of a random fan meet and greet I passed by later that day. Other than Jimi, you can match up the outfits with the above pic.

As we moseyed through FanFairX, we came across the section of artist booths. I was drawn to Tayler Lynch's booth because he didn't look like the other male artists that one would assume wrote mostly drinking songs. (I suppose I was judging books/artists by their covers.) He had a couple headsets playing his music, so I took a listen while asking him questions about his music, etc. Before heading away with my autographed CD, Tayler was nice enough (even though he was a Cincinnati Reds fan) to take a pic with this Cubs fan.

Around 11:30 we made our way over to the Artist Close-up stage for the CMA Songwriters Series featuring Sara Evans. I do not recall the songwriters' names that were on stage with her, but a big thank you goes out to their mad writing skills. I got to hear them tell stories and sing songs by the likes of the Dixie Chicks and Luke Bryan. I don't currently own and of Sara's music, but after hearing her live for the 2nd time, I really need to look into that.

At some point Keith Urban swung by the Close-up stage and we got to see him play a song while helping raise awareness for the CMA Foundation's Music Education Matters Campaign. Shortly after the surprise performance, a fellow by the name of Aaron Tippin took to the stage to shared stories and sing a few songs. I was not familiar with his music, but I could have listened to him all day. Knowing that her husband is an Aaron fan, Theresa kept her ears open and found out he'd be available for a meet and greet the next day.

After Aaron Tippin, we caught Kristian Bush and Friends on the Close-up stage. We rounded up our day with a game of PLINKO at the Big Machine Label Group booth. My consolation prize was a towel.

After spending most of the day at FanFairX, Theresa and I headed back to the car via the pedestrian bridge. Who would have thunk Luke Bryan would be hanging out near the elevator? Well, he actually only made it a day or two before someone stole him.

I found a tag on the towel I won that stated I could win prizes if I Tweeted a photo with the towel while somewhere at CMA Fest. I opted for a shot in front of LP Field where the nightly concerts were held. As for the aviator glasses, those were a Tyler Farr freebie that now below to Theresa.

After a stop at the hotel to regroup, we headed back to LP Field for the night. Last year we scouted out the seats. They are only in the sun for about 20 minutes and receive quite the breeze with being located along top edge. The one downside we knew about was the that birds frequented these seats.
We came prepared with handi-wipes. Above is the before and after. The other downside is completely unpredictable. The people nearest the aisle refused to stand up when we needed to get to the aisle. It wouldn't have been such an issue if you didn't have to squeeze by their knees while dodging their stuff, feet, and cup holders. Ugh!

This first night, I was excited to see Alan Jackson who opened the show. I missed him when he came through Bloomington earlier this year during my siblings weekend. He sounded good, but I gotta say out of all the performers we saw during CMA Fest, he had the most abrupt exit off-stage. It was so bizarre.

Here's a happy Jane selfie with downtown Nashville in the background. The pedestrian bridge we cross is lit up on the left.

My favorite artist of the night was Dierks Bentley. Hands down, no questions asked, he rocked it. He also seems to be a very genuine person and shows his appreciation to us fans for supporting his music. I think some artists forget that without the fans, they wouldn't be up there.

As far as performances Rascal Flatts and Alan Jackson were a close second. I'll be honest, I was hoping for Rascal Flatts to blow my socks off like last year, but they didn't pull any surprises on me this time. Don't get me wrong, they were great, but just not able to top Dierks.

Sam Hunt left me perplexed with his hip-hoppy style of country music and singing about a house party at the age of 30.

For those Florida Georgia Line and Jason Aldean fans, I regret to inform you that I am not, and we left prior to them taking stage. We wanted to leave on the fantabulous concert ride that Dierks took us on. Plus, we would be guaranteed to miss parking lot hell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, a very readable blog about great adventures. Did you know your momma has 2 Sara Evans CDs you could borrow and try?