Thursday, June 12, 2014

CMA Fest 2014 - Day 1

Okay, soooo, in order to start Day 1 at CMA Fest 2014, Theresa and I had to get to Nashville first. The day prior we made the long trek from Peoria, IL and came across so pretty wackadoo drivers.

Thursday, June 5th
The plan for our first day at CMA Fest was to find an ideal parking spot near LP Field, take the pedestrian bridge into downtown Nashville, and stop in at FanFair X to see LeAnne Rimes and the hundreds of booths.

FanFair X
It was basically a country music tradeshow filled with booths from upcoming or established artists, wearables to buy, freebies, tv/radio, contests to enter and live music. For shits & giggles, I was hoping to catch LeAnn Rimes, but quite a few shiny things caught my attention, plus we didn't really know what stage she was on (there were 3 inside FanFair X).

We planned ahead and wore Mountain Dew t-shirts, so we'd make a splash at their booth. To our disappointment, it was actually a DIET Dew booth. But to our excitement, we got to meet the cardboard version of Dierks Bentley. Theresa also one a post of him, which I suggest she hangs in front of her parking spot in the garage (I don't think Jim would mind).

I knew Nashville had a Dave and Busters, but the chance of us having the time and/or energy to get over there so I could race some cars was pretty slim. Luckily, Firestone tires came through and had an Indy car simulation at their booth!

This has got to be my favorite selfie of the event. Kotex had a booth with a wheel you could spin!!! That's the shiniest thing in the world to me! To spin the wheel, I was required to take a selfie and tweet it.... Done and DONE! With a spin of the wheel, I got $5 Dollar General gift card. Theresa made out a bit better with $25!

We eventually made our way to LeAnn Rimes after even more distractions that what I've listed above... not in any particular order. By the time we made it to the stage, she was doing a Q&A about her upcoming reality show... ugh! Because I was feeling onry, I captured a pic and sent it to Kjothesmartass before we were on our way.

Here's a couple pics of us when given props. I'll admit it... I was quite surprised Theresa rolled with my suggestion for mustaches.

And, this is what happens when you where a green shirt for a "green screen" photo! I got to pick my prop and design the background. Serenading the cows at CMA Fest, can't get much better than that.


Riverfront Stage
The day was flying by and it was time to hit the booths and stages outside. As we were passing the Opry Originals store, we spotted a line with the name Josh Turner attached to it. Of course, you had to have a ticket to get inside for the meet & greet with him. But wait, there was a stand-by line and we were the 10th and 11th people in line!!! Since Josh didn't perform during the CMA Fest, this was the next best thing. Plus, Theresa got to brag to her daughters.

Up next we headed to the Riverfront Stage to see Charlie Worsham. I listened to samples of all artists' music that were scheduled to play on this stage and he was the only one I wasn't familiar with that really stood out. I'm so glad we made it to see him. He put on an awesome show. Great music and high energy! Survey says he's going to be one of my new favorites.

Samsung Galaxy Stage
Last up in downtown Nashville was Canaan Smith at the Samsung Galaxy Stage. I'd seen him a few years ago when he opened up for Sugarland. I even got to meet him after one of the shows. Still waiting for new music from Canaan, I was excited to what his set list was like. Unfortunately, it was the style of music I remembered. I recall him as having fun, inventive lyrics to upbeat and/or faster paced music. I hate to admit it, but he lost me during this performance. His unique twist was gone in my eyes.


LP Field
At some point during the day Theresa grabbed some meals and hit an ice cream shop during a rain storm. By the time the evening arrived, the skies had cleared and we were ready for the main event at LP Field, where the Tennessee Titan NFL team plays.

I didn't start to get into country music until the Dixie Chicks came along and then more so in 2007 when radio formats changed in Peoria and I started tuning into our local country station. A late announcement to CMA Fest 2014 was Alabama. I have one of their songs and was beyond hoping they would play it, I'm In A Hurry (and Don't Know Why). I think it's safe to say that my favorite performance at LP Field was when Alabama played this song. I had goose bumps and the biggest grin on my face as I sang.... I mean shouted the lyrics!

Luke Bryan - what is there to say about Luke Bryan. Well, he has a song with the lyrics, Country Girls Shake it for Me. And those girls/women might shake it for him during the show, but he shakes it right back! Such a fun performance to watch.

Dierks Bentley - This was the first time I'd seen Dierks and he played quite a few of his hits, so I was more than happy to sing along. Simply a great performance!

Rascal Flatts - They were last up for us this night. I knew the Flatts would put on a good show, but would they play my favorite song Mayberry (I like to make this my ringtone for the the parents). They didn't, but I believe they surprised us all when they brought the band to the front of the stage and sang Happy acapella!

(Tim McGraw) - I don't recall exactly why we made the decision to leave after the Flatts, but Tim McGraw did not feel our love this night. In place of his performance, I leave you with a panorama shot from our seats in the upper deck nose bleed seats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

15 pix--what a fun day...and a great blog to read!