Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dawson Game Day Photos

I don't recall how many times I've shared Andre Dawson stories over the past week. I do know that I smile every single time. How about I share some of the highlights other than the license plate and add in a few photos of the event?

Gates opened at 5:00 and Tom & I booked it around the ballpark over to the Pepsi Picnic Plaza. It took everything in my power not to say anything to Dawson as we flew past him on the concourse. Why the hustle? Had to get the picnic table view!

I had the chance to ask Andre Dawson several questions during two days of festivities. In front of an audience, I went with the following: 1. You're in the front office with the Marlins, do you get to interact with the young players?
2. Have you ever thought about coaching?

The answers to these questions and anything else I heard while being a fly on the wall had me glued. I enjoyed his story about Nolan Ryan pitching him high and inside to get him off the plate, but Dawson just fouled off the balls, leaving Ryan to simply tell him that "You're crazy!"

He spoke about getting hit with a bean ball during his 1987 MVP season... the rage of trying to get to the pitcher, the stitches, sitting out only 2 days, and having a leaky upper lip. I totally got him to blush when I mentioned, "Glad it didn't ruin your beautiful smile."

One of the most memorable conversations was the last one, when Tom and I got our picture taken with him. Tom was headed down to Florida the next day and was scheduled to see a Florida Marlins game, so we asked Dawson if he could suggest a place for Tom and his buddy Jeff to eat. Mahogany, Dawson's restaurant, was closed Monday and Tuesday, so that was out. We'll pick it up here...

Dawson: Where are you staying?
Tom: I don't know yet.
(Dawson's eyebrows raise in astonishment and disbelief.)
Tom: We'll be driving up from Orlando.
Dawson: How much money do you want to spend?
Tom: It doesn't matter, just looking for something good.

At this point, you can see Dawson following the roads in his head and voicing his concern for not wanting to send the boys past the ballpark just for a place to eat.

I was completely amazed that he was willing to help out, instead of simply just naming a restaurant. He gave Tom some verbal directions to the Grille's location at the Aventura mall. Absolutely super cool!

No comments: