Monday, November 19, 2012

Not exactly Chex Mix

I've always been a fan of Chex Mix, and like most people, I have my favorite pieces that I'll pick out of the bowl first. As far as type of Chex or Party Mixes, it doesn't get much better than the kind my dad makes.

It's not your traditional Chex Mix. If it's a starch and goes crunch, chances are Dad's thrown in the mix at least once before. I'd say my least favorite addition over the years was honey roasted peanuts and my top two favorites have been Cheerios and Cheese-Its.

Not only does Dad put his own twist on the ingredients, but he kicks up the spices... well, I don't think there's a scale to measure the boldness of the spices. If there were, then his Chex Mix would blow the highest number out of the water.

Don't get me wrong, it usually tastes fantastic, but you'll be able to keep vampires away with your breath for a few days.

So, where was I going with all of this? Oh yeah, I visited Costco with Mom, Dad, and Grandpa over the weekend. Yep, that's right, transitioning from Chex Mix to Costco in under one second!

The highlight of the trip was seeing Dad's face upon the discovery of a new spice, similar to a Lawry's All Seasoning, but without all the salt. A new spice mixture to bring the kick of his Chex Mix to legendary heights, without the hindrance of adding more salt to the mix.

Yes folks, there had been a small window of improvement for his classic recipe. The salt factor varies depending on the mixture of spices used and sometimes the salt to spice ratio is a bit out of control, especially when you pop that super crunchy, supremely flavored Cheerio into your mouth.

With the latest discovery and purchase of the salt-free multi-spice, I can't wait to try Dad's next batch of Chex Mix. But in the mean time, I'll enjoy my own "Chex Mix", the "not exactly Chex Mix" I refer to in the title.

I use the traditional spice mix as suggested by Chex, but my ingredients vary a bit. I use an entire box of Cheerios. Reduces the need for me to pick out my favorite pieces.


1 comment:

P-town Tom said...

Your favorite pieces in Chex Mix are the Cheerios? Seriously?

I've always thought that they were the weakest element in Chex Mix. Now I come to find out that you are probably the reason Dad keeps adding them in there. SMH.